1. What did you do in 2010 that you'd never done before?
Got a divorce.
2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Hmm. Well, I still haven't benched 315 or squatted 405, but I can dunk pretty easily.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My cousins Schenck had kids, as did my friends in SW MN and N Central Iowa. Haven't seen any of these kids!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Had a longtime coworker pass away; had an MS-type nerve disease.
5. What countries did you visit?
I've traveled so little recently!
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
Ticket to a good graduate school. Less debt, less time spent working.
7. What date(s) from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Well, I remember my dates with my lovely girlfriend! We had coffee at Starbucks and on a later date had drinks at the Valley. As for dates, i.e. 1 March 2010, I don't recall events connected with specific dates well.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Moving past a bad relationship and on to a good one.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Hmm. Probably that my career is rather a hamster's wheelchase wherein I never get a paid day off.
10. Did you suffer any illness or injury?
Left knee sprain. Strained back in November.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
New "old" car -- 1993 Honda Civic.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and/or depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Housing, debt payments.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
16. What song(s) and/or ablum(s) will always remind you of 2010?
Kanye -- _My Beautiful Dark Twisted..._
Eminem -- _Recovery_
Raekwon -- _Cuban Linx Pt. II_
Drive-By Truckers -- _The Big To-Do_
Black Keys -- _Brothers_
17. Compared to this time last year, you are:
Last year I moved on, this year I succeed.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Smiled. Traveled. Biked. Reading. Writing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Lake Panorama with Schencks and Grandma Schenck.
22. Did you fall in love in 2010?
I have someone special who reads this blog closely who has taught me a lot about love.
23. How many one-night stands?
Never had one. I'm a relationship guy.
24. What was your favorite TV program?
25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
No anger for me.
26. What was the best book you read?
Henry James, _The American_
27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
28. What did you want and get?
New car that is more reliable.
29. What did you want and not get?
30. What was your favorite film of this year?
_Inception_ was good, but I liked _Social Network_ more.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Turned 29; taught English comp; forget what I did at night.
32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Finding out that my ex has been paying her bills instead of not paying them.
33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
Clothing is one area I'd like to invest in.
34. What kept you sane?
Moving from aloneness to sociability.
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Fancy? My guy Barry Obama. Paul Krugman.
36. What political issue stirred you the most?
37. Who did you miss?
Should be "whom did you miss?" I missed "him" not "he."
38. Who was the best new person(s) you met?
My girlfriend and her daughter!
39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010
Don't smoke. You won't miss it.
40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
Let's have a toast for the douchebags,
Let's have a toast for the assholes,
Let's have a toast for the scumbags,
Every one of them that I know
Let's have a toast for the jerkoffs
That'll never take work off
Baby, I got a plan
Run away fast as you can
Or, as Dylan put it so long ago, "There's no success like failure."
No profanes - sacred