x
schencka
Re: Comment on _Insiderhighere...

Link.

One of the FPs I teach at has a different practice to meet numbers. Instead of enrolling students after a course has begun, they'll put the late-starters into a "midterm start" course, where the classes have about eight hours of in-class time per week over four or five weeks to meet the forty-hour Carnegie Unit goal. I assume the attrition rate is similar to adding new students to a course after it has started. But the ethically dubious element is in assuming that sitting in a remedial writing or math class for an eight-hour shot once a week over four or five sessions will actually get a person to learn essential skills. It goes without saying that these unplanned, spur-of-the-moment sections are exclusively taught by adjunct-contingents. It's a formula for meeting some distant CEO's sales goals, not for learning.

This matches my overall experience of adjuncting for the FPs -- where both student and instructor are equally ignorant of what to do in the class. Last week I was hired to teach a course that has no stated course objectives; I have no idea as to how the course is supposed to fit into the overall curriculum, or what courses precede and follow the course. It's a miracle anyone learns anything. At least the Financial Aid people are honest -- it's all about money, specifically student loan money, as per the 90/10 rule (student must foot 10% of tuition, FA can be the other 90%). At the institution I first mentioned, the FA and Admissions people are showered with salaries, benefits, and positive attention from the administration while the adjunct-contingents are hollow ghosts, strangers whom administrators merely tolerate, avoid eye contact with, and pray they actually teach -- toxic.

No profanes - sacred
 
Calendar

May 2017
123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031

April 2017
1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30

March 2017
1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031


Older

Recent Visitors

May 26th
google

May 25th
google

May 24th
google

May 23rd
almost23
google

May 22nd
google

May 21st
google

May 20th
google

May 19th
google

May 18th
c4fine13u22
google

May 17th
google

May 16th
divine
google

May 14th
google
Spread Firefox